Sh*t, Grit, and Motherwit:

A commentary and reflection upon my life and times in MTC.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

An Alternative Approach

I read Jess Wysopal's paper on the Montessori School. I was initially interested for several reasons: 1) because I actually attended a Montessori school when I was younger 2) because I'm fascinated by alternative methods for learning and 3) because it's so vastly different from what they teach us in MTC.
Basically, Montessori schools tailor the entire classroom environment to its students. So, for an elementary Montessori school, the students have smaller chairs, smaller desks, and all kinds of learning resources in the form of books, puzzles, art supplies, etc. The idea is that by creating the perfect learning environment and leaving the adults out of the mix for the most part, the kids will want to learn on their own and will teach themselves how to read or write. They value and respect a student’s own desires and thus allow him or her to choose what, when, and for how long he or she learns. (Sorry if I’m not completely accurate in this synopsis.)
Although I was extremely young when I attended a Montessori school, I do remember that I was best friends with a kid that was 3 years older than I was (coincidentally, he turned out to be the older brother of one of my best friends in middle school). According to my parents, I used to follow him around all the time. I remember that everything he said was funny. I mention this only because of the focus on peer teaching that the Montessori schools stress, and because it is one of the few strategies that applies to what I have been taught so far in MTC. I guess it’s virtually impossible for me to say whether it was an innate curiosity, open-minded parents, the Montessori school, strong teachers, or some “X” factor that encouraged my desire for independent learning, but nevertheless, it’s present.
This strategy is particularly interesting in contrast with the rigid rules and schedules that MTC emphasizes. Both MTC and Montessori’s strategies target “at risk” kids, so I wonder how two vastly different philosophies developed with the same purpose. Although I completely trust what the administrators, professors, and experienced teachers in MTC say, the liberal in me wonders if a child were exposed to the Montessori technique his or her entire life, would the results be as successful as what MTC produces? Obviously, one of the major differences is that MTC teachers go into a school that is not set up to incorporate the Montessori strategies; however, something about the “prison” or “warzone” metaphor that I’ve heard teachers (and, ashamedly, myself) mention seems off. I realize that with some kids, you have to take that strategy. And at first, you should probably take it with all your kids. But the attraction to me comes in developing personal relationships, which you can’t do if you’re the “warden” or the “enemy commander.” I’m not trying to suggest that anyone here is inciting me to treat the kids this way, but with all the rules, procedures, and schedules (coupled with my mistrust of authority), it seems like it would take some of the spontaneity, creativity, or individual desire out of learning.
I know that when I go in the first day I’m going to do my best to appear the “hard-ass” that I’m most certainly not. But because I’m so afraid of losing respect, I fear I’ll have to approach things that way until the kids gain my trust (or I gain theirs, I’m not sure) and realize that one party is not going to take advantage of the other.
Montessori techniques seem more “natural” to me. It’s rather sad that because of the inherent desire to trust, help, and nurture which has constantly been abused, we as teachers have to remove the freedom and choice that accompanies learning, at least in our schools.

3 Comments:

Blogger Monroe said...

What a great post. I think you made some interesting and insightful points about Montessori schools. I too feel that our current traditional school structure limits the creativity and freedom that is vital to the learning process. However, one must be realistic about the change that can take place with limited time and resources.

I would love to see a change in the overall structure of our public schools. I see the need for an overhaul of epic proportions! With that being said, you can create a wonderful learning environment in your classroom this fall. One focused on student centred learning, freedom, and choice.

Also, you are right about the development of personal relationships. You do not have to have the "warzone" mentality. Just be prepared, organized, consistent, and fair. Relationships will develop naturally when your students see that you care about them.

I enjoyed your ideas and your post.

8:44 PM  
Blogger dd adams said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:10 PM  
Blogger dd adams said...

thanks dog - i had fun with it. not really sure if there is any coherent point made. we should chill sometime soon when shit isnt so busy.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home