Sh*t, Grit, and Motherwit:

A commentary and reflection upon my life and times in MTC.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

There and Back Again

So this past weekend I ventured down to Jackson to do some house searching with myself, my two soon-to-be roomates, three great Second Years, and our hostess's roomate. Everyone was great. Our two hostesses in Yazoo City were so hospitable... they took it upon themselves to show us around Jackson and house search with us. But I think more than the hospitality and the generosity, the comfortability and connection with this group of people really astounded me. I knew my future roomates pretty well (or as well as you can know someone in about 3 weeks) and had casually conversed with our 2nd year hostess and the other two 2nd years, but I had never even met our other "member." The connection with these people was instantaneous, which is amazing considering the different backgrounds and the number of people present. This is something that I've also found, for the most part, among other members of MTC. And I can't really figure out why I get along so well with these people. I think part of it is the fact that I'm no longer in the minority. TDuring the past four years of my undergraduate, I was, for the most part, the more liberal, progressive, or at least levelheaded of most of the groups I was associated with. I realize that may come off as arrogant, but that's whay I tried to throw in the "levelheaded" clause, because even when I was more conservative on a particular issue, I felt like I rarely become visibly upset or excited about my particular viewpoint, as was/is the case with the majority of people down there that believe strongly in something. And I think the most attractive quality of many of my colleagues is their ability to rationally and calmly state their perspective. That's what I experienced this weekend. Ideas, perceptions, tastes that I had but often times could never put into words evolved into extended, well-thought conversations, of course filled with various remarks that unceasingly cracked me up. That's another huge issue... The ability to laugh, discuss, criticize, remark, or make-fun -- now matter what the subject or tone-- was always interesting. I feel like I could have talked with these people nonstop. I think part of our idealism contributes to our complementary personalities -- even when we come from all parts of the South (and the oddball fromt he Northeast). I can't thank everyone enough for their help this weekend, but even more so, I owe everyone more gratitude for the experience and the community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home