Sh*t, Grit, and Motherwit:

A commentary and reflection upon my life and times in MTC.

Friday, October 13, 2006

Learning Styles Inventory

I gave a learning styles inventory to 4 of my 6 classes (the other two I rarely see because of assemblies that ALWAYS fall during this class period). Considering that this survey only had three options for the students to select (Visual, Auditory, or Kinesthetic), I fully anticpated my students to be overwhelmingly visual learners. Why did I expect this? Because they completely tune me out. I automatically assumed that because I say things over and over again (give instructions, discuss literary terms, assign homework due dates) and the students hardly respond to what I say, that they must not be auditory learners. Nope. I was wrong. According to the survey, they were mostly auditory learners. This surprised me a little. I'm a little disappointed in the fact that my auditory instruction is apparently falling on deaf ears if this is the way they learn the best. Granted, the results were not overwhelmingly auditory; however, it was a clear leader. I was trying to think of ways that, had the results been different, I would implement more visual or kinesthetic tactics, and I have to admit I'm a little relieved I don't need to do as much. Although I feel like my best days are when I'm extremely well-prepared with a strong set, I'm finding it harder and harder to stay creative and original. So I must say it's somewhat of a comfort to know that I'm not as accountable for always being creative and novel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home