Sh*t, Grit, and Motherwit:

A commentary and reflection upon my life and times in MTC.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Too lax?

So lately I've found myself having some interesting confrontations with some normally good students. These students aren't necessarily being disruptive or disrespectful, but they are exhibitng some odd behavior. I'd probably have to attribute it to my repoire with the students: I still feel like I'm being firm, but I'm becoming more and more of a smart-ass. Just making wise comments all the time. I can't help myself. But I think one of the effects is I'm indirectly telling my good students, hey, it's okay to slack off and goof off a lot as long as Mr. P's in a good mood. I'll give you an example. The following as an essay a student turned into me recently. All English students in my district were required to write about "An Embarrasing Moment." This student, who I can only describe as Dwight from "The Office," is normally a good, motivated, albiet a little strange, Honors student. Needless to say, I was shocked and even more amused when I received his essay (all grammatical errors have been left unchanged, and I have included what I wrote on his essay):

As I search the archives of my memory, I can only recall my most embarrassing moment. I remember it as if it happened yesterday.

It all started during Thanksgiving Break. I was going to KU’s SuperStore to buy a new outfit when I saw Mr. Pollard. I walked over to him and was surprised to see him dressed like a pimp. “Mr. Pollard, is that you?” “Stevie, nice to see you player,” he said. “Mr. Pollard is the name I use when I am in school dog, but outside of school I go by another name,” Mr. Pollard said. I asked, “And what name is that?” He said, “A Pimp Named Slickback!”

I said, “Alright Slickback!” “No, it is a A Pimp Named Slickback!” “That is what I said,” I said. He said, “It is A Pimp Named Slickback.” I said, “Alright, you are a pimp and your name is Slickback,” now aggrevated. So I walked off, bought my outfit, and went home.

Later on that day, I was playing some basketball with my boys. My team was in the lead by then points and only needed on more shot to win. Then it happened: A Pimp Named Slickback showed up and distracted me. That was the opening Paris, who was on the opposing team, needed. He came up behind me and pull down not only my pants, but my underwear too. Everybody on the court saw what my private parts looked like. I was so embrarrassed, I could not take it. My anger for both Slickback and Paris consumed me like wildfire. I pounced on Paris with vengence in my eyes, and merciless beat Paris senseless. I took all the guys to pull me off of Paris. I then stormed off towards Slickback, and punched him out. I figured he was angry at me for not getting his name right. At the end of the day, I was more embarrassed than angry for one reason: everybody including the girls saw what my private parts looked like. Then my phone rang. It was everybody from the basketball court saying it was cool and promising not to tell anyone what happened. The girls did say I had a nice looking package though.

The End

Stevie –

This is very creative and amusing; however, I’m not quire sure this is appropriate for and English class, especially the last line.


I don't know if I'm going to continue with my current attitude in class or not; I really don't think my classroom management has become less consistent, but incidents like this make me wonder if I'm not sending the wrong message.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home