Sh*t, Grit, and Motherwit:

A commentary and reflection upon my life and times in MTC.

Friday, May 04, 2007

To Teach or Not to Teach?

So I guess I should really be thankful that SATP tests are over. The overall intense atmosphere of the school is starting to subside, but it's quickly being replaced by a carefree attitude. I had done all my planning and preparing, and after SATP week, I only had 2 weeks of teaching left with seniors and then one week of exams. But so much stuff is being crammed in, that I'm wondering if it's even worth teaching anything these last few days. This week, for example, half of the seniors were out of class for Advanced Seminar projects. The other half were out for field trips with random organizations. Those that were there fought me tooth and nail when I tried to make them do work. And those that missed aren't coming back to get their makeup work. Next week, seniors have two breakfasts, a picnic, two practices for Class Day, and the program for class day -- all of which they will miss my class for. This isn't even taking into consideration the AP exams next week. Do I go ahead and teach to the 30-40% of class that's there and hope the rest make it up (but realistically know they're probably going to bomb the test on the new material)? It's starting to extend to the juniors too. Today was the day before prom. Prom takes place tomorrow night at 8 pm. Apparently, it takes two full days to get your hair "did," your nails "did," your dress ready, and all the other things that go into making a perfect night, because I had 9 students out of 29 in my 4A class today (they either didn't come or got a dismissal). I knew anything I covered with those nine would have to be recovered next time I saw the full class, so we sat around and talked about racism for an hour and half today. I have to admit, it was nice. Really nice. We had an intellectual conversation that was organized and the kids actually listened to what I said. But I couldn't help feeling guilty because I wasn't actually teaching the content -- I was giving into the culture of the school that pressures you not to teach and not to give the kids work. I was speaking with a veteran teacher the other day who somehow has maintained her standards, integrity, and sanity throughout the years by unflappably teaching as long as students were in her class. Now granted, she was failing the valadictorian at one time, but I can't help to respect and aspire to her style. It's just that at this point in the year it's so hard not to give into what everyone else is doing (nothing) than do what I know is the right thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home